It was the core of the line of fortifications built by the Carlist army to besiege Getaria during the last Carlist War (1872-1876). This line ran along the crest of Garate and since she had under bombardment Getaria. This fort was the scene of important events that shaped the course of the war: was bombed in 1874 by two German warships in retaliation for the capture of a brig that nationality by the Carlists and in 1876 was taken by assault by the liberal army had landed in Getaria, direct witnessing amphibious operation that began with the end of the liberal army offensive that ended with the victory of this and the end of the war. Years later, in 1936, the fort was again militarized by Franco's army during the Civil Warl.
It retains strong in fairly good condition. Moats are still visible, its platform for artillery and small barracks for the troops covered with concrete roof during the Civil War.