The First Circumnavigation Of The Earth
Getaria did not keep the first letters of forge, but it was confirmed by inquiries that the Antxo VI of Navarre gave it to him at the end of the 12th century. In the following years he objected to a notable political change, since Alfonso VIII the Castilian conquered Getaria in 1200 and confirmed his letter of forestland. However, the archaeological actions taken in recent years show us that there was at least one important centre of population from the time of Rome. Getaria is described in the 14th century as a hijack created by the Nafar kingdom.
Much has been debated about Menosca 's position in classical sources, but in fact, despite certain geographical conditions which have made it peculiar and ancient, we have no evidence to confirm it. The geyser has a natural first-class pier, with a deep-sea bay called Malkorbe, well protected from bad weather by San Anton Island. The Bay of Getaria and the natural pier did not originate from a river 's mouth, which affords them the facility to enter it, whatever tide it may be.
From the beginnings of history, the Getaria and its environs have been connected to the sea. Before history he had begun to place men on the outskirts of Getaria. It is surrounded by, among other things, the Alcestian or Echevan caves, which contain images of fish 12,000 years ago, the rudiments of 6,000 years of the Herrikobar street of Zarautz, the sites of the Iron Age (the 7th generation before Christ), or the Arriauni tumults of Getaria. In Roman times, the area was of great importance, as well as small parts of the country, devoted to a wide variety of activities: Santa Maria la Real, the ironworks centre of Arbiun, Zarautz, and the Old Cemetery of Urezbero, in Elcano, Aia, and the maritime port of Getaria.
In the Middle Ages there are clear traces of population in the neighborhoods of St. Prudence and Askizu, as well as in the areas of the Roman period above mentioned. When the king of Navarre had established a city, Getaria, who was master of the ports of Gipuzkoa, and for the next few centuries he maintained this command. During the 14th and 15th centuries, however, trade activity was neglected by the Getaria for the sake of Deba, Hondarribia, and Donostia, and for the sake of fishing. In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, both the anchovy and sardine salvage industries were established there. And there were also many Getarians, and many of them, in the crew of the great ships of the Gidians and of the Boeotians, who each year went to Ternua and the Arctic to fish for cod and whale. In addition, Getaria produced many txakoli to supplement the supply of these large fishing vessels. In the 18th century the Royal Company of Caracas took most of these ships. In the late century, new initiatives were launched, including the Royal Getaria Sardine Company (1764), which came to revive bass fishing. When the Carlists wars ended (1876), offshore fishing intensified tremendously, thanks to new technologies such as steamboat engines, new salvage techniques, and so on. It is one of the most important ports of fishing on the Basque coast, in the way it was in the 19th and 20th centuries.
1793-1795: the Convention War, in which Jose Fernando Echave-Asu y Romero and Joakim Maria Barroeta Zarautz y Aldamar played a key role.